    SubjectRe: Netscape and 2.1.9x and 8x
    Fred Love <flove@mindspring.com> writes:

    > Steven N. Hirsch wrote:
    >
    > > On 4 Apr 1998, Hans-Christoph Rohland wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I got rid of netscape stalls by using display ':0' instead of my
    > > > default 'hostname:0'. It uses now unix domain sockets instead of tcp
    > > > for communicating with the X-server. I have send tcpdump of the stalls
    > > > to davem.
    > >
    > > Thanks for the tip! You're absolutely correct. When I start my display
    > > with a connection over the unix domain socket, it's back to normal. I
    > > really hope this bug gets swatted quickly.
    > >
    > > I've noticed its effect on many other large graphic applications, such as
    > > ghostview, xdvi, acroread, etc.
    > >
    > > Steve
    >
    > Implemented this, and it re-appeared, thought it was gone.
    >
    > /usr/local/netscape/netscape -display :0
    >
    > is the command I run in X.

    I saw the following additional problems running netscape and using
    strace on lockups:

    1) netscape looping on SIGALRM
    2) " looping in write or sendmsg with returncode EAGAIN

    I think they go away after a while (and come back after while ;-()

    Christoph

    P.S: Am I the only one getting no more mails from linux-kernel or is
    there a general problem with the list?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.020 / U:30.192 seconds]