SubjectEncrypted FS idea
This is a topic I've been thinking about for awhile.  I finally decided
that perhaps an encrypted FS wasn't the way to go. What I envision would
be more like an interface for file authentication and filtering similar to
the stage model that Apache uses. At certain points in the kernel would
be hooks for additional file processing modules to do some work. This
would allow for encryption on a file-by-file basis, and perhaps other
things like access control lists etc. These would just be call backs that
get run during normal file operations, so as to not break existing
software that uses open/close/read/write etc. This obviously isn't a full
cooked idea, but would allow for extensibility and export issues at the
same time (U.S. encryption could be used because it could be distributed
separately, and countries that don't allow encryption at all wouldn't have
problems either). As well I can think of all sorts of interesting things
to do with such a framework (I mentioned my two favorite ACLs and
encryption, but I've allways been a little interested in transparent file
versioning as well) It would be best if this could be done on a file by
file basis, some things there is just no point in encrypting, or
versioning, and most things work just fine with the traditional unix FS
permissions. Anyways just some thoughts.

t.

Tracy Camp | http://www.hurrah.com/ | I like Tea and Crumpets
E Plurbus Curvum

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.036 / U:0.172 seconds]