SubjectRe: Security patch for /proc
On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, Rob Hagopian wrote:

> Most programs (apache comes to mind) drop root as soon as they've got the
> port and don't do anything else as root, so it's shouldn't be a problem.
> Frankly, I really don't want users trying to start daemons for services
> I've intentionally disabled.
>
> There was, at one point, something circulating about security patches to
> give more fine grained allocation of things like the lower ports which
> solves both problems, but I haven't heard anything recently...

-Rob H.
I'll clarify, I saw some work a few months ago to control access to those
ports. Not everyone needs/should get access to them, but root IMHO is
overkill.

Gerhard
--
Gerhard Mack
irc admin centurion.starchat.net

gmack@imag.net
innerfire@starchat.net

As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans