    SubjectRe: Security patch for /proc
    On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, Rob Hagopian wrote:

    > Most programs (apache comes to mind) drop root as soon as they've got the
    > port and don't do anything else as root, so it's shouldn't be a problem.
    > Frankly, I really don't want users trying to start daemons for services
    > I've intentionally disabled.
    >
    > There was, at one point, something circulating about security patches to
    > give more fine grained allocation of things like the lower ports which
    > solves both problems, but I haven't heard anything recently...

    -Rob H.
    I'll clarify, I saw some work a few months ago to control access to those
    ports. Not everyone needs/should get access to them, but root IMHO is
    overkill.

    Gerhard
    --
    Gerhard Mack
    irc admin centurion.starchat.net

    gmack@imag.net
    innerfire@starchat.net

    As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.018 / U:65.252 seconds]