SubjectRe: Strange hangs (me too!!!)
   At crash time, I was doing a recursive diff between a CD I've read after I
burned it, and the original source directory. Since it was wait time, I
decided to start the X server, just to do some surfing while I was idle.
Stop. No messages logged. If that helps, I've loaded a modularized sr_mod
driver for the SCSI CD.

I get this sort of crash once every 20 or so times I start the
Millenium II X server, both the official XFree86 version and the XSuSE
version. It doesn't matter what I'm doing at the time, apparently. I
fixed the problem by disabling Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and starting xdm at
boot time; that way it only gets started once per boot (I only reboot
once per week or so).

I've reported this to the XFree86 people but they apparently ignored
the report.