    SubjectRe: Patch for block write clustering

    >> Yes, I started looking through the lower-level code. I am puzzled though
    >> as to why the low-level sorting doesn't seem to have much effect in 2.0.33
    >> at least. Using a stock 2.0.33 kernel with write-caching turned off on the
    >> drive itself causes a huge performance hit. (I can post the benchmark program
    >> I used if anyone wants to try it themselves)
    >
    >One new 2.1.x function in the sort code is attempt_merge() in
    >drivers/block/ll_rw_blk.c. I doubt that it accounts for the difference,
    >but perhaps -- we can try adding a printk() to that function, and verifying
    >whether it is called frequently under the benchmark.
    >
    >Gadi

    Thanks. I'll put some printk's in 2.0.33 and 2.1.xx and see if I can
    figure out what's going on. From your other note about the request
    queues I think I'll try some tests that access multiple partitions
    at the same time and see how that works.

    Thanks
    Emil

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.017 / U:31.412 seconds]