    SubjectRe: egcs 1.0.1 miscompiles Linux 2.0.33
    Jeffrey A Law wrote:

    > In message <34FBCB0C.42D8AD1C@wtal.de>you write:
    >
    > No, I don't use x86 asms a lot. But I've had the "pleasure" of
    > working with asms on various machines and developing gcc for about
    > 9 years now. So I have more than a clue about how things are
    > supposed to work :-)

    This gives me a release. Really.

    > As folks have stated, the proper way to do this is to set up matching
    > input/output operands with the output as an earlyclobber. The manual
    > needs updating in this regard since it is ambigious.
    >
    > Any asm which sets up a case where a clobber must match an input
    > is wrong. Plain and simple, it is wrong.

    Could you please explain the syntax of an earlyclobber (I never heard of it).
    I would undergo the task of patching Linux-Kernel's asms, since I'd like to
    stop the debate about an EGCS/Kernel mismatch. EGCS is a valuable project and
    compiling a kernel should not delay using it.

    > And finally, the earlyclobber on the output prevents the compiler
    > from associating any unrelated input with the given output.
    >
    > This mechanism is designed to do exactly what you want it to do
    > modulo any bugs.

    > The need for the mechanism is obvious, the mechanism currently used
    > by Linux is wrong.
    >
    > jeff

    Regards
    Christof

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.024 / U:88.684 seconds]