    SubjectRe: Securelevel bitmap patch
    On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, Andrej Presern wrote:

    [snip]
    > Notice that in a true capability model /etc/passwd is just another
    > object, same as (for example) your ~/.profile, so you could as well let
    > the _users_ create their own execute_~_.profile capability and delegate
    > it to other users (and even their own processes, selectively that is).
    > Carefull observers have probably already noticed that this model is
    > clearly superior to any form of ACLs since having a capability is
    > sufficient for the process to be granted the desired access. Besides
    > being very flexible, this model also simplifies and speeds up a lot of
    > things, and - considerably improves security.

    This can be done by creating a group, and playing with chmod. I do this on
    my system alreaddy. I'll bet you can go even farther with suid and some
    dummy users. This is all userspace stuff.

    Gerhard

    --
    Gerhard Mack
    gmack@imag.net

    As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.020 / U:0.084 seconds]