SubjectRe: threaded FS-drivers

In article <> you write:

>For certain applications (multiple concurrent accesses on very
>large files as generated by database applications) it can be
>desireable to support finer grained locks than on inode level.

Have a look at the fcntl(2) man page. I think Linux has already
supported POSIX style locks on parts of files for a long time (since
when the version numbers begun with 1., at least) :-)

But I think the thread was about the in kernel locking mechanisms
to protect transactions in the filesystem implementation from concurrent

Regards, Felix.