SubjectRe: GGI Project Unhappy On Linux
On Sun, 29 Mar 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > > to render a bitmap and then feed it to the printer.
> > I see. But that makes the printer virtually unusable on most other platforms
> > than it was designed for? So, to use it on Linux one would have to implement
> > the GDI engine?
>
> Of course not. Read what I said.. you render a bitmap and feed that to the
> printer. Now look what ghostscript does. Shock horror I do belive it like
> renders a bitmap and then sends it to the printer.
OK, I see. So basically the only thing that has to be common in the two OSes
is the format of the bitmap that is sent to the printer, right?

> > And what about video cards that implement in hardware functions traditionally
> > found in the software driver? They certainly give better performance but they
> > are tied to one particular OS interface - such cards exist, so what other OSes
>
> Not really. At a drawing level there is really no difference between X11
> and Win32 other than the cursor format. Cursor format conversion is not
> exactly hard and some chips like the S3 ones actually support both natively!
And what about cards that would have on-board implementation of the TRUE Win32
video driver APIs (similarily to those cards that have on-board OpenGL APIs
implemented) - then you'd have to use the Win32 routines under any OS that
wants to support that cards, right?

TTYL(r), marek
---
"Little prigs and three-quarter madmen may have the conceit that the
laws of nature are constantly broken for their sakes."
Friedrich Nietzsche

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.081 / U:1.196 seconds]