SubjectRe: X (was Re: GGI Project Unhappy On Linux)
Date
> There are a few problems with X, one major issue being that it is no
> longer free software (AFAIK the Open Group decided to make X11R6.4 free
> for non-commercial use only). If we want Linux to have a chance anywhere
> besides home and school use, X can't be the only choice.

Thats up to the XFree people. Truth is _they_ control X11 to all intents
an purposes and X11R6.4 versus an XFree 4.0 would leave XFree 4.0 the
dominant player. Its up to the XFree people what they do and if they split
from X. (Remember Closegroup can't retroactively relicense any code or
relicense any code the are not the copyright holders of)

If XFree goes non commercial use then XReallyFree will be there in a week to
replace them. Meanwhile opengroup is busy signing its own death warrant.

Right now all the XFree people will say is that they are still sorting things
out and won't discuss it with anyone yet.

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.409 / U:0.164 seconds]