SubjectRe: [2.1.91-pre1] tcp wierdness and lockup
On Wed, 25 Mar 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Mar 25 10:15:46 jelerak kernel: kmalloc: Size (4294967220) too large
> > Mar 25 10:15:46 jelerak kernel:
> > Mar 25 10:15:46 jelerak kernel: IP: No memory available for IP forward
>
> Whee thats a different bug. Dont think that is his ISP somehow. We tried
> to allocate a negative sized packet and the kernel broke

there are a lot of signed v.s. unsigned variables in the kernel. many
more times than makes me happy i run across a 'comparison is always
TRUE|FALSE due to' etc, etc. lately, we've heard of several programs
developed that exploit these bugs for malicious purposes. more than once
i've started to dig through code and try to clean it up but alas, i don't
have the network clues i really need to know if something _should_ be
signed.

in my limited expertise (not to say i even _have_ any ;) i don't see many
places where negative values should ever be desired...a ~packet for
example :)

i would write up some patches, but would making someone else go thru my
changes be efficient? after all, the person that knew the correct sign
for a variable could much more quickly set 'unsigned ...' than would be
for him to proof my patch.

-d

Look, look, see Windows 95. Buy, lemmings, buy!
(c) 1998 David Ford. Redistribution via the Microsoft Network is prohibited.

[reply to: david@127-0-0-1.kalifornia.com without the 127-0-0-1.]
*** *** Flames will go to /dev/null
** WARNING ** SPAM mail will be returned to you at a
*** *** minimum rate of 50,000 copies per email

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:2.645 / U:0.004 seconds]