SubjectRe: Suggested changes to the VFS
H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Incidentally, open is defined as a file_operation, which IMO
> is bogus, since you can only open() an inode, and the open
> function is passed an inode anyway. It would appear more
> logical to me to move open to the inode_operations structure.

The release function should IMHO also be an inode operation
and not a file operation.
Thomas Sailer has shown that it is possible to keep a file
memory mapped after it has been closed. This causes some
security problems mainly with the sound driver.
There is no safe and easy way to know when is the
REALLY-LAST munmap on an inode from a device-driver's side.

Itai
--
Itai Nahshon nahshon@actcom.co.il
Also nahshon@vnet.ibm.com