SubjectRe: More FD's in 2.0.33
If you change the size of an fd_set in the kernel, you need to recompile
anything that uses select(), otherwise you stand a good chance of
blowing away the application's stack, IIRC.

Shane Anderson wrote:

> I'm looking for the *RIGHT* way to get more open files in 2.0.33.
> I've downloaded Michael O'Reilly's patch, but it had problems with
> portmapper (on RedHat 5.0 w/ all the latest updates) crapping
> out--apparently due to bad file descriptors, which I think was due to
> the dynamic allocation done in this patch. So, since then I've tried
> to just change the #define's that I believe matter, namely:
>
> NR_OPEN in limits.h
> OPEN_MAX in limits.h
> __FD_SETSIZE in posix_types.h
> __FD_SETSIZE in gnu/types.h
>
> And then if I put this in rc.local:
>
> echo 32768 > /proc/sys/kernel/inode-max
> echo 8192 > /proc/sys/kernel/file-max
>
> Is this the Right Way? I'm still having trouble w/ portmapper (and
> hence rpc.nfsd & rpc.mountd) At the moment I'm staring w/ a clean
> 2.0.33 again and would like some real advice on # of open files
> before I screw around too much more.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -= shane.anderson@infrasol.com ======== Infrared Solutions, Inc. =-
>
> -

Did you read the documentation AND the FAQ?
If not, I'll probably still answer your question, but my patience will
be limited, and you take the risk of sarcasm and ridicule.