SubjectRe: [patch] 2.1.90 - more parport fixes
On Sun, 22 Mar 1998, Garst R. Reese wrote:

> Riccardo Facchetti <fizban@tin.it> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > in this patch there is the fix to /proc/parport/<port>/irq handling
> [snip]
> > It should work for you too, but I would like to have some feedback.
>
> It screwed up other interrupts. I could not make net connections beyond
> my local ISP. But I like the idea. I'm using a pcmcia modem if that
> helps.

The parport driver allow to switch from polling mode to
interrupt mode. To do that you have to echo "interrupt number" > /.../irq
The "interrupt number" is the one assigned to the printer port by BIOS.
What do you mean with "screwed up other interrupts" ?
The fix about irq is only some added check when requesting irqs. The logic
is the same as the original code !!

I can think only one scenario for the simptoms you described:

- serial port compiled as module (and module not loaded) .. modem on e.g.
ttyS1, irq 3 (now irq 3 is NOT allocated)
- echo "3" > /proc/parport/0/irq (allocate irq 3 to parallel port .. wrong
if this is not reflected by BIOS 'parallel port' setup .. irq 3 is
dedicated to serial port !!!)
cannot dial to ISP !

Usually the irq devoted to the parallel port is IRQ 7. In this case you
have to echo "7" > irq ... if you echo "8" > irq, it don't work even if
irq 8 is free .. and if you try to use serial IRQs for parport handling
.. it screws parport and serial !

Anyway your report is too much generic. Please, tell me what are you doing
with IRQs, parport and serial devices.

Ciao,
Riccardo.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.174 / U:0.164 seconds]