    > Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 00:16:22 +1100
    > From: Richard Gooch <rgooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU>
    > The MTU on my SLIP link is 255. I'll check tomorrow what the CISCI
    > terminal server is set to, but I think it should be higher than
    > that. Would that cause a problem?
    > SunOS Advertised an MSS of 1460 (ethernet frame size) this must mean
    > it belives the Linux box is on the local subnet and also connected to
    > the same ethernet segment. SunOS doesn't implement path-MTU
    > discovery. So it sent the full sized frames.
    > So the conclusion I'm at right now is that either:
    > 1) the CISCO is dropping the packets completely, or...
    > 2) the CISCO is not fragmenting them correctly, or...
    > 3) the Linux box is not un-fragmenting them correctly, or
    > just plain not receiving them at all
    > And as usual, this could be yet another VJ compression bug of some
    > sort at either the CISCO or the Linux box.

    I've been told that the MTU for the CISCO was 1500. I think that's
    what I had it configured to when we got it recently, but then I lost
    that in a recent disc crash and then I set my MTU to 255 (what is was
    for our old Annex). This would also explain why I've only noticed this
    problem recently.

    Anyway, I've set machine A to have MTU=1500 for the SLIP link, and
    these TCP stalls seem to have gone away.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.020 / U:19.608 seconds]