    SubjectRe: New Feature Idea: Configurable text(msgs)
    On Tue, Mar 17, 1998 at 08:21:42PM +0100, ketil@ii.uib.no wrote:

    > Pondering about it, I think it's an advantage that I can, in the event
    > of a kernel error message:
    >
    > a) Do a search on Altavista for the message, and come up with people
    > who've had the same problem, and hopefully a solution as well. Even if
    > they're posting the rest of the post in German (babelfish, here I come!)
    > b) Mail the error message to developers, without having them twisting
    > their brain trying to work out the correct back-translation from
    > Norwegian to English (or whatever their working language is)
    > c) Rely on a complete set of sensible and consistent error messages
    > (i.e. what happens if somebody translates a kernel, and I apply patches
    > to it in a different language? )
    >
    > With some clever design, b) and c) could be resolved I guess. But I
    > don't think it is worth it, and while the notion that kernel developers
    > ought to learn English is perhaps a bit arrogant, I don't think it's an
    > unreasonable demand.
    >
    > Look at the extreme mess MS made out of trying to i18n their stuff, I
    > get every app in a weird mixture of Norwegian, English and German.
    >
    > Not that my vote counts a lot, of course.... :-)

    On OS/2 I remember getting errors like 'E1314' (or similar) when you
    tried booting with an OS/2-formatted floppy. Unless you have the
    accompanying error translation table you have to 'know' the error
    messages. For embedded work and other areas where memory is tight,
    this is a good idea. Random translations of messages without a common
    reference used by the two messages is a bad idea.

    astor

    --
    Alexander Kjeldaas, Guardian Networks AS, Trondheim, Norway
    http://www.guardian.no/