    SubjectRe: [patch] x86, generic speedup, do we need 'cld'?

    On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, MOLNAR Ingo wrote:

    > i've noticed that we do 'cld' way too often. Maybe there is some
    > nonobvious reason to use it, but isnt it so that all kernel entry points
    > do a cld currently.

    This should be fine as long as you verify that all kernel entry points do
    have the cld - which I think they do. I'm nervous about it, though,
    because even if there _is_ a missing cld somewhere, it would very seldom
    show up as a bug (because almost nothing sets cld, so even with a missing
    cld it _usually_ does the right thing).

    Finding potential bugs brought about by this change would be fairly
    impossible, which is why I don't feel like doing it..

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.053 / U:29.340 seconds]