Subjectmmap() versus read() and embedded systems.
  Just my $0.02,

Even if you have memory mapped flash as a file system in an
embedded environment, with romfs, the main problem is the
executable loader: it has to modify (resolve address) of the code
you are executing, so this code has to be copyed first in RAM.
I am not sure that using static library (instead of ELF) solves
completely this problem...