SubjectRe: mmap() versus read()
pjb wrote:

I'd be interested in this too; I'm working on a smart busmastering
network interface that's scatter/gather capable, and it would be nice to
be able to call send() from user space and have the kernel lock the page
down and then DMA the data directly out of it, rather than copying it
through an skbuff. My main interest at the moment is doing this with
"raw" packets, but it should be possible to make it work with IP too.

DMA from userspace with IP data would be Way Kewl(tm) - but surely that
would require smart hardware that does checksumming, etc. ?

How many commonly available cards allow this on the PC? I would guess SFA.

Presumably for the Sparc and Alpha gear this kind of hardware would be more
common?

-cw

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.041 / U:0.116 seconds]