SubjectRe: mmap() versus read()
>: Note that even if linux gets a sendfile/TranmitFile syscall the mmap()
>: case is still important -- specifically for mmap()d databases. We're
>: designing a copy-avoiding I/O layer for apache-2.0 and support for
>: non-filesystem objects is on the list; as is support for sendfile... it's
>: all vapourware at the moment though.
>
>When you gys get around to this, please talk to me about it, I have done
>some work in this area and can share some data.

I'd be interested in this too; I'm working on a smart busmastering network
interface that's scatter/gather capable, and it would be nice to be able to
call send() from user space and have the kernel lock the page down and then
DMA the data directly out of it, rather than copying it through an skbuff. My
main interest at the moment is doing this with "raw" packets, but it should be
possible to make it work with IP too.

p.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:1.805 / U:0.008 seconds]