SubjectRe: Slowmem support - turn uncacheable mem into ramdisk
On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Pavel Machek wrote:

> This patch (relative to 2.1.89) helps systems with uncacheable (->
> slow) memory. It adds one config time switch (sorry for strange
> placement) and command line option.

Very nice, but then we'd want to:
- age buffer and cache pages
- swap user pages on the first whim (when there's some
fastswap left!)

I think I'll code up the above... The 'what-to-age' patch
will be completely sysctl controllable, and the fast-swap
part will be a simple addition to the first in that:
- it turns of userpage aging when there's fastswap free
- fastswap pages won't be pagecached (so we can stuff in
more pages on fastswap)

On a sidenote:
Is it available from your homepage or should I add it to
the mm-patch page?

> It is based on 2.0 patch by keryan@andrew.cmu.edu. Is such kludge for
> broken (but frequent) hw acceptable in standart tree? What should be
> done to get it in?

It should be:
- clean
- have no special added hacks (what I described above can be
done cleanly)
- markable as a special 'fastswap' area, so kswapd knows what
to do (maybe fiddle with swap priorities?)

Rik.