SubjectRe: Allocating uge chunks of kernel memory

alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk said:
> There is an optional "bigphysarea" patch that one of the other capture
> drivers with similar hardware weaknesses uses. It commits the memory
> at boot time.

Where might I find the "biphysarea" patch? (I'm using 2.0.32.)

That will probably do nicely. I understand that fragmentation would diminish
my odds of getting a dynamically allocated large buffer. My application is
somewhat specialized and I'm willing to hack the kernel to get what I want.

Incidentally, Windows NT allows me to allocate these huge buffers. I notice
that when I do so, it takes a long time and I hear the disk going for a
while. I suspect it is dropping buffers, and possibly paging out process
memory to get that stretch I need. It seems that page_alloc.c has the
beginnings of this, but only works for single-page allocations.

--
Steve Williams "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
steve@icarus.com But I have promises to keep,