SubjectRe: Laptops (APM) & 0040 crashes
Hi!

> > Today, I stumbled across the following in the configure help for APM:
> >
> > because they don't have compliant BIOSes. Many "green" desktop
> > machines also don't have compliant BIOSes, and this driver will
> > cause those machines to panic during the boot phase (typically,
> > these machines are using a data segment of 0040, which is reserved
> > for the Linux kernel). If you get random kernel OOPSes that don't
>
> The message above is a little misleading, the real point is that
> the BIOS is using data segment 0x40 which is not a valid segment
> descriptor for Linux. It is a valid segment offset in real mode,
> but Linux is running in protected mode where access to this value
> as a segment descriptor is illegal. The BIOS is buggy!

Yes, it is, but it can be worked around. Making 0x40 valid descriptor
pointing to right page should help. (Windows do it that way.) I
thought about it and wrote rather long mail about it to Pavel Janik
ml. SHould be doable. But I do not have such laptop so I have no
reason to do it.

Pavel

--
I'm really pavel@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz. Pavel
Look at http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/ ;-).

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.083 / U:0.016 seconds]