SubjectRe: sound <-> kerneld
On Wed, 4 Feb 1998, Marc Lehmann wrote:
> nobody else seems to have mentioned it, but there is a conceptual problem
> with the modularized sound driver, as well as with some other modules.
>
> using kerneld for the sound driver (or ftape for example), just doesn't
> work:

[...]
> This could be fixed when "sound" automatically loads another module
> (ftape automatically tries this), but I think there simply is a design
> problem, somehow kerneld (or the kernel) should know that 3 modules
> really are ONE, otherwise, these modularizing approaches get messy.
Or it needs to be told to reload the "sb" module (as in your plan, I assume
-- by the audio code, though the rest of these would be by generic code), or
the "audio" module (as would happen under devfs), or the
"char-device-major-14-minor-4" (as I think probably should happen), instead
of "char-device-major-14", as happens now.

-=- James Mastros
--
"I'd feel worse if it was the first time. I'd feel better if it was
the last."

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.083 / U:0.744 seconds]