    Subjectsound <-> kerneld

    nobody else seems to have mentioned it, but there is a conceptual problem
    with the modularized sound driver, as well as with some other modules.

    using kerneld for the sound driver (or ftape for example), just doesn't

    1. access the sound driver.. in my case "sb" is loaded, which depends
    on sound, which is loaded and registers the device.
    2. one minute after this '(if not using the device), kerneld tries
    to unload modules automatically, i.e. sb in this case, since
    it's unused (sound itself, though, is used)
    3. now everybody (non-root) has to wait for another minute until
    sound itself get's unloaded, no sound operation is possible.

    This could be fixed when "sound" automatically loads another module
    (ftape automatically tries this), but I think there simply is a design
    problem, somehow kerneld (or the kernel) should know that 3 modules
    really are ONE, otherwise, these modularizing approaches get messy.

    The choice of a GNU generation |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.018 / U:3.536 seconds]