    SubjectRe: GGI, EGCS/PGCC, Kernel source
       Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 22:58:09 -0800
    From: Michael Schmitz <schmitzm@uclink4.berkeley.edu>

    I hate to defend the GGI people here :-) but I think there was no mention of
    routing all tty IO through EvStack, ever. Only serial lines that are
    somehow (?) dedicated as keyboard input devices feed into EvStack and
    bypass the tty line
    disc. layer directly.

    On the Linux kernel list, people were specifically talking about
    supporting *serial* terminals that sent PC keycodes, and in the message
    which I quoted, there was discussion of running "ALL tty lines" into
    EvStack.

    Jason even gave a pseudo patch later:

    in tty_send_char()

    You should know better what that means; I can only guess ... Make that
    an 'if (tty->kbdidx ....' for me. Only the 'keyboard line' should be
    redirected elsewhere.

    I have no idea; tty_send_char() isn't in the standard Linux kernel. I
    assume it's from the part of drivers/char/*.c which gets heavily
    rototilled by the GGI patches.

    >I originally architected the tty layers so that you could support
    >*multiple* serial ports doing 115 kbuad kermit transfers on a 386
    >running at 40MHz. It would be shame to change Linux so that it requires
    >a Pentium II to accomplish the same feat.....

    No one suggested that :-) In fact, what would be the point of
    filtering kermit data through the keyboard map??

    Apparently so you could support serial terminals that emit PC keyboard
    codes..... (I didn't say it was a good reason, mind you!)

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:2.880 / U:0.044 seconds]