SubjectRe: GGI, EGCS/PGCC, Kernel source
At 11:43 PM -0500 2/26/98, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> From: Jason McMullan <jmcc@pepsi.visus.com>
> * All TTY lines can hook into an EvStack, with
> the input characters filtered through a
> (global/per-device/per-tty/whatever) translation
> filter (ie keymap) that outputs Unicode keypresses.
>
> (We're using Unicode16 - if at all possible -
> throught the EvStack system)
>
>Err.... I'm not convinced at all this is a good idea to route all TTY
>lines through the EvStack system. Recall that some TTY outputs need to

I hate to defend the GGI people here :-) but I think there was no mention of
routing all tty IO through EvStack, ever. Only serial lines that are
somehow (?) dedicated as keyboard input devices feed into EvStack and
bypass the tty line
disc. layer directly. Jason even gave a pseudo patch later:

in tty_send_char()

c=next_char_to_send;
#if CONFIG_GGI
if (tty->evstack != NULL) {
/* build keypress event with keycode = c */
/* send keypress to filter */
/* pick up filtered keypress as UTF8 stream
(yeah, I'm listening Alan.) */
/* send UTF8 as per normal */
continue; /* processing chars */
}
#endif
/* send the char as normal */
continue;

You should know better what that means; I can only guess ... Make that
an 'if (tty->kbdidx ....' for me. Only the 'keyboard line' should be
redirected elsewhere.

>I originally architected the tty layers so that you could support
>*multiple* serial ports doing 115 kbuad kermit transfers on a 386
>running at 40MHz. It would be shame to change Linux so that it requires
>a Pentium II to accomplish the same feat.....

No one suggested that :-) In fact, what would be the point of filtering kermit
data through the keyboard map??

Michael

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.077 / U:0.720 seconds]