SubjectRe: GGI, EGCS/PGCC, Kernel source
   From: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox)
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 19:05:45 +0000 (GMT)

Nothing at the moment stops a line discipline calling another line
discipline so long as its careful how it sets it up. Its not something
you can do sanely for the general case but you can do it cleanly
for the specific case and it avoids conditionals in the N_TTY paths

Not quite true. The line discplines make call backs to the driver for
things like tty->driver.throttle, tty->driver.unthrottle on the input
side. (Which is actually not as bad as I thought it would be; it's much
worse if you're following the line discpline ---> tty driver path for
tty output.)

This could get changed so that we had a more STREAMS-like approach,
where the line discpline called the throttle and untrottled of its
calling driver or line discpline, but that's not what we have today.

- Ted

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.168 / U:0.036 seconds]