       From: (Alan Cox)
    Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 19:05:45 +0000 (GMT)

    Nothing at the moment stops a line discipline calling another line
    discipline so long as its careful how it sets it up. Its not something
    you can do sanely for the general case but you can do it cleanly
    for the specific case and it avoids conditionals in the N_TTY paths

    Not quite true. The line discplines make call backs to the driver for
    things like tty->driver.throttle, tty->driver.unthrottle on the input
    side. (Which is actually not as bad as I thought it would be; it's much
    worse if you're following the line discpline ---> tty driver path for
    tty output.)

    This could get changed so that we had a more STREAMS-like approach,
    where the line discpline called the throttle and untrottled of its
    calling driver or line discpline, but that's not what we have today.

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.025 / U:1.196 seconds]