    SubjectRe: Fairness in love and swapping
    On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Rogier Wolff wrote:

    > 0 50 51 100
    > P1 <in memory>...........<in memory>
    >
    > 0 1 50 51 100
    > P2 ...........<in memory>...........<in memory>

    Now, how do we select which processes to suspend temporarily
    and which to wake up again...
    Suspending X wouldn't be to good, since then a lot of other
    procesess would block on it... But this gives us a good clue
    as to what to do.

    We could:
    - force-swap out processes which have slept for some time
    - suspend & force-swap out the largest process
    - wake it up again when there are two proceses waiting on
    it (to prevent X from being swapped out)
    - wake up the suspended process after some time (2 seconds
    per megabyte size?) and mark the process as just-suspended
    (and don't swap it out again for a guaranteed 1 second *
    megabyte size period)
    - if necessary, suspend & swap another large process when
    we're short on memory again

    Doing this together with a dynamic RSS-limit strategy and
    page cache page aging might give us quite an improvement
    in VM performance.

    Of course, I'm quite sure that I forgot something,
    so please comment on how/what you want things changed.

    Rik.