SubjectRe: GGI, EGCS/PGCC, Kernel source
Date
> Yes, you have to go indirect on a network.  But if you were going over the
> network, you probably weren't expecting any performance anyways.

Gigabit lan DMA versus main memory - latency yes bandwidth is ceasing to be
an issue

> >So I put it in a mitshm object, it arrives with 0 copies, its blasted into
> >the video card. Next question 8)
>
> Umm... You still have to copy the data from the application, into the
> shared memory and then out from the shared memory into the video card.
> This sucks three times the system memory bandwidth of going out of the
> application memory directly to the video card. Am I missing something?

Existing hardware on all Linux supported platforms barring SGI. Nobody
else has hardware video contexts. So the PC case is always going to be
2 (not 3) times as bad - I can compute in my mitshm object thanks

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans