SubjectRe: PROPOSAL: PC Speaker toggle
On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Sean M. Kelly wrote:

> Let's face it, that nasty PC speaker is annoying as hell. *BEEEP BEEEP*
> Most people that I know have already physically disconnected the thing
> from their computer. I don't want to do that though. Can we make a file in
> /proc/sys/kernel, possibly called 'speaker' which will store a bolean
> integer used to enable/disable the PC speaker?
>
> I have a patch here that was originally made for 2.1.21 [I think] by Aaron
> Tiensivu (tiensivu@pilot.msu.edu), and have updated it to work on 2.1.88.
> If anybody would like me to send them the patch let me know.
>
> I think /proc/sys/kernel/speaker should be added to the kernel. Really all
> it requires is another addition to the sysctl interface, and an extra
> integer in the kernel )speaker_sound) which holds the current state of the
> speaker.
>
> I'd appreciate any feedback that anybody has on this topic.

I can only add my opinion that a "visual beep" (flashing the screen) is a
very important feature, and ideally should be supported intrinsically,
whether or not the speaker is connected.

(Yes, I realize that it can be implemented in some programs using existing
termcap and console escape sequences. This doesn't go nearly far enough,
however.)