    SubjectPID sequences
    Hello all,
    I have been meaning to post this for about a year but I keep
    forgetting :-( I'm waiting on something to finish running, and I
    finally remembered.

    I have seen severl posts (over the last couple of years) where
    people complained about either performance or security problems related
    to generating PID numbers for child processes at fork() time. There is
    the assumption that PID numbers increase, skipping over in-use PIDs,
    and then wrap at 32K. I dont think Digital Unix does it this way:

    halfpint> bash -c 'for x in 1 2 3 4 5; do /bin/sh -c '\''echo $$'\''; done'
    4476
    4300
    3707
    4243
    3843

    This looks almost random, and it does not seem to break anything.
    I just wanted to let people know that if we wanted to use some other
    scheme for generating PIDs, there is some precident for doing so.

    Thanks,

    Jim