SubjectRe: Clue on 2.0.33 crashes
Greetings, and thanks for your work on xntpd!  I think my message
started this thread. Briefly, xntpd *works just fine here* under
2.0.33, except for when a modem poll to the NIST time server is made
*and* the xntpd daemon is run with -d flags. Then, the console
freezes, and all network connections to the machine cease to function,
but routed connections through the machine continue. The kernel gets
stuck in a loop.

Without the -d flags, xntpd dies at the same point with signal 1
(HANGUP). So 1) there seems to be some problem with xntpd in
accessing NIST and the proper handling of its time data, and 2) there
seems to be a problem in the kernel such that when a process attached
to the console get signal 1, the machine hangs. This is entirely
reproducible.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!
--
Camm Maguire camm@enhanced.com