Subject[OFFTOPIC & SHORT] GGI pragmatic thoughts: check me if I'm wrong...
Here's my spin on GGI: I see it as an awesome benefit to my
WORKSTATIONS, and something I'll config out in my SERVERS (I _NEVER_ run
an xserver on a server); this will cut out bloat in my server kernels,
but for my workstations will give me:

-broader video card support, and no worries about separately trying to
get my xserver and svgalib to both work

-more stability, as I've crashed my machine a few too many times with X,
SVGAlib & console switching

-better performance, and the ability for my wife & I to play network
DOOM on the same machine (I'll grant this last bit isn't essential)

-more uniform keyboard & mouse support between console & X.

So, does the workstation vs. server argument slice things for others as
it does for me?

Feel free to reply to me only, as this really doesn't belong on
kernel-digest (OFFTOPIC, you see) but I thought this might be a good
perspective to share with a few who have already commented on GGI...

David L. Parsley

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.043 / U:0.120 seconds]