SubjectRe: [OFFTOPIC] Busmice: MouseSystems Ps/2 Mouse Skips
Date

Hello.

> I tried it as a PS/2 mouse (using the same psaux.o/misc.o driver that
> the MS mouse used). I got the exact same reaction as treisk was
> describing -- in X11, it alwayed jumped to the lower left corner.

The problem with mice is that any manufacturer changes the protocol to
his will. There's no problem, as anybody delivers a driver "for any
os" with their device.

Some time ago someone built a faulty ps/2 implementation, that reports
negative movements of 0 pixels. Unfortunately, that particular packet
was meant to mean -256 (not -0). I got from Stephen Tell a fix for the
gpm decoder (I don't run ps2 personally). Maybe the X decoder hasn't been
fixed yet.

> I got it working using gpm as a repeater, and the /dev/gpmdata trick,
> BUT I WASNT CONTENT WITH THAT SOLUTION.

That's a pity: I like it :)

> I tried it as a serial mouse, and it worked okay -- except that it only
> recognized 2 of the 3 buttons, and was WAAAY to sensitive.

The 2-b problem is a typical one. Maybe "-t mman" works for you, but maybe
not. Again, run mouse-test to help detecting how your device reports
the middle button.

As for sensitiveness, that's tunable in software.

/alessandro
--
__ o Tu vuo` fa` l'americano: sient'a me chi t'o fa fa`.
_`\<, (Renato Carosone)