    SubjectRe: alloc_skb called nonatomically from interrupt.. 2.1.84

    On Fri, 30 Jan 1998, David S. Miller wrote:

    > Just received the above (title) upon booting 2.1.84. The reported
    > address translated to inet6_rt_notify, and repeated 4 times.
    >
    > Linus, let's decide what we want the semantics of certain things to
    > be. The new definition of in_interrupt() in linux/interrupt.h (which
    > btw in an of itself is a no-no, it references elements of the
    > interrupt protection mechanism which we both agreed would be
    > per-architecture and therefore should not be mentioned by name in a
    > generic header) counts "in interrupt" as either being within a true HW
    > IRQ handler or within a BH, however now code which does:

    Yes, an interrupt context is either running in a bh or in an interrupt.
    Neither must ever sleep.

    > net_foo()
    > {
    > /* We run from user context, but need to protect
    > * against incoming packet handling code...
    > */
    > start_bh_atomic();
    > /* This now doesn't work with the current code... */
    > skb = alloc_skb(size, GFP_KERNEL);
    > end_bh_atomic();
    > }
    >
    > won't work anymore...

    Sure, the above works fine. It's not actually running in a bottom half
    handler, it's just protected against bottom half handlers.

    2.1.83 may have been broken in this regard, although I doubt it. 2.1.84
    certainly is not.

    Note that sleeping with bh's disabled can be considered a bug in itself:
    what if the wakeup mechanism requires bh's to work? The current kernel
    won't complain, but you may have a dead machine on your hands.

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.019 / U:149.280 seconds]