    Subject2 Questions about Linux
    Date
    First question:

    Is there a globally accessable realtime counter? I'd like to implement
    something that does timestamping, with realtime data within the kernel.
    Is there a tick count or struct timeval that can be accessed for the current
    time/etc?

    Second question:

    Does free software have "brand loyalty"? Does RedHat keep existing customers
    because they are RedHat loyal or because it's a technically superior product?
    (That was just an example, not a specific taste/preference) In other words,
    do people choose one free software product over another because it's a superior
    item, or because they have a sense of loyalty to that product?

    This just came up because I feel myself working towards devoting my life to
    free software (career wise anyhow), and asked myself the important question:
    How do you make money and support a thriving business off of free software,
    especially if you are developing it, posting it on an FTP site for download,
    and selling it on CD; why would people buy it? (This is rhetorical :)

    Your opinions are solicited.

    Thanks,

    Perry

    --
    Perry Harrington Linux rules all OSes. APSoft ()
    email: perry@apsoft.com Think Blue. /\

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.017 / U:240.740 seconds]