    SubjectRe: 3940UW Driver Locks the Machine
    On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Topi Miettinen wrote:

    > Doug Ledford writes:
    > > Especially when you consider that without the code, the driver went into an
    > > abort/reset loop continually resetting the drive because it was failing on
    > > tagged commands. The drives in question were IBM DFS series drives shipped
    > > by Sun and Apple.
    >
    > Sounds familiar (abort/reset loop with IBM DPES & DFHS). We've fixed a lot
    > of problems by disabling tagged queuing and disconnection. I really, really
    > hate 'aborting command due to timeout blah blah'. Can anyone recommend a
    > hard drive manufacturer which sells 100% OK drives?

    I've *never* seen this sort of problem with the recent Fujitsu
    SCSI drives. They aren't particularly cheap, but they're extremely
    fast. (4.4,9,18 avail in 7200rpm, 4.4 and 9 in 10000rpm)
    (this is on Linux/Intel and Irix/SGI)

    Send me e-mail if you want me to recommend a source or two.

    Simon Karpen slk@shodor.org
    Sysadmin, Shodor Education Foundation

    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!], `Pray,
    Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right
    answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of
    confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    -- Charles Babbage

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.019 / U:0.060 seconds]