    SubjectRe: Reproducible crash under 2.1.86 [solved and fixed]
    On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

    >Its always hard to tell. You may want to see if instead of fixing the cause
    >you can fix the problem. Put the dma calls back in but add some check code
    >to make sure no DMA handling functions are getting re-entered in error. Also

    What do you mean with "re-entered in error"?

    >see if putting udelay(2) between each write to the DMA controller makes any
    >difference.

    Yesterday I tried to put udelay(1) at top of disable_dma() and make no
    differences. Now I tried to put udelay(2000) at top of each function in
    dma.h and the lock happen as usual. udelay(20) or (200) give the same resutl.
    The lock is not related to I/O port access speed, but is a reproducible logic
    problem.

    I tried also to check the output of get_dma_residue() and its retval seems
    completly unrelated to the lock.

    Fell free to send me patches. Now with my first two patch the
    soundcard works fine.

    Should I replace my motherboard again?

    Andrea[s] Arcangeli

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.051 / U:30.784 seconds]