SubjectRe: VFS 64-bit clean? Not yet (was Re: large-file-system)
Date
Linus "Double .sig" Torvalds wrote...
> Alan, I don't see why you are hung up about getting the full 64 bits
> when there are _known_ problems with it, and the 32+scale approach is
> for all intents equivalent and avoids all the problems (and allows
> 74-bit filesystems on 64-bit architectures - you should like that).

Boggle... ;)

> Sure, the 64-bit version may _look_ simpler to do, but if you actually
> try to optimize it for performance you'll wish you hadn't gone to "long
> long". And the page cache is timing critical.

64bits is what folks will expect, and with things like lseek you dont need
a paticularly huge disk to create file using bit63 in its file offsets. If
long long is so bad maybe the right answer is to ask the egcs people to
look into it - and yes Im aware gcc on the whole writes crud code for
any case where sizeof(register) < sizeof(object). Its what makes gcc
so weak for embedded work.

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.131 / U:0.288 seconds]