SubjectLinux swap & praise :)
Hi..

I was wondering if someone could answer a few questions I have about linux
and the swap code and performance related issues. First of all, here is
my /proc/meminfo, while I'm writing this mail in X, with Netscape, mp3
player and loads of other stuff.

total: used: free: shared: buffers: cached:
Mem: 31817728 31322112 495616 21299200 81920 17403904
Swap: 16445440 7856128 8589312
MemTotal: 31072 kB
MemFree: 484 kB
MemShared: 20800 kB
Buffers: 80 kB
Cached: 16996 kB
SwapTotal: 16060 kB
SwapFree: 8388 kB

Ok, so its using around 8mb of swap, and has around 17mb of file cache.
Would it be more efficient to reclaim used swap space and shrink the file
cache? Are there any arguments for, or against this?

Also, 20mb of shared memory? Wow, what exactly does this mean? That 20mb
of my allocated memory is usable by other applications via dynamic
linking?

Overall I'm very impressed with the performance that Linux 2.1.86 gives
me, I'm running a libc 2.06 system and use pgcc 1.01 exclusively with zero
problems so far. No crashes, no segfaults.. Nothing out of the ordinary.
In fact, it quite amuses me that the developer/unstable versions of Linux,
are more stable than release builds of Windows. :)

Oh not to mention I run the same kernel on 3 computers.. Another pentium,
a 486 with 8mb of ram even which I use as a ppp/masq gateway. No problems
there either. :) I love it, and can't thank everybody involved with Linux
and the FSF enough.

Congrats to everyone involved, I'm one content user, and may there be many
more to come. I hope so, If I were Bill Gates, I'd be changing my
underpants frequently. :)

Regards,

Dave.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.053 / U:0.196 seconds]