SubjectFinding mysterious 2.0.33 crashes -- Please help
Has anyone had mysterious hangups in 2.0.33 (total hang, no messages in
logs, no oops) who is _not_ using an Adaptec SCSI driver? It could help
narrow the range of code to be checked if that's a common factor in all
these cases. Also, has anyone had this problem who is _not_ using an
NE2000 ethernet card? Who is _not_ using a PS/2 mouse? Who is _not_
using glibc?

Let's try to figure out the commonalities of our systems. My first
suspicion is the 2940 driver.

When this happens, there is no panic on the console -- I've tried not
running X and turning off the screen blanker to make sure.

Further comments on this below...

On Fri, Feb 13, 1998 at 10:06:29AM +0000, Klaus Lichtenwalder wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Feb 1996, Jon Torrez wrote:
>
> > (in responce to my previous note)
> >
> > Yes! (read on fool :) )
> >
> > Well, try this Patrick:
> > 1. remove all the patches and run from a clean unpatched kernel;
> > unless your system needs them.
> >
> > 2. do remote logging with syslogd do *.*, something might show up.
> >
> > 3. cross your fingers.
> >

> Well, I have to chime in. I'm also administering a web server
> remotely, 2.0.33 with Solar Designers security patches, a bunch
> of isdn interfaces, ethernet to internet backbone, 24 ethernet
> aliases. This machine tends to just lock, after 3 days of uptime. Just
> now is updated to Doug's latest adaptec driver, in case it's a scsi
> timeout on the disk /var is mounted.

I've also had problems with 2.0.33 locking up. It's frustrating that
there hasn't been a response from the kernel people, but it's quite
understandable that without anything to go on this could be nearly
impossible to trace. 2.0.29 (and 1.2.13 and various 1.3.x kernels)
stayed up fine for me, I do have a 2940U and an NE2000. The machine has
been running Linux for over a year without glitches until this.

There are no messages on console or in the logs when this happens; it's
a complete system freeze and only the reset button will fix it. Vanilla
2.0.33. I had problems when using both gcc 2.7.2.3 and egcs-1.0.1. It
tended to happen about once a week.

Curiously, the problem seems to be in remission. My machine was up
for 11 days without a glitch; I rebooted it after upgrading to Doug
Ledford's most recent aic7xxx driver (5.0.5, I believe...) and it's
been up another 4 days since then (making at least 2 weeks since I've
had a problem). I'd like to help find the problem if it isn't in the
aic7xxx driver or if it is still present in the newest driver, but I
don't really have any idea how to find it without any oopses or log
messages.

PPro 180, 64MB EDO
Adaptec 2940U (AIC 7881U on-board controller)
ISA NE2000 clone (which has worked fine for a long time)
glibc 2.0.5c (I've upgraded to 2.0.6 recently)
PS/2 Mouse

-Sumner

--
rage, rage against the dying of the light