SubjectRe: ANNOUNCE: /dev/bios - flash rom bios driver

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Stefan Reinauer wrote:

<snip>

> > Agreed. How about having a sysctl variable which needs to be set in order to
> > allow writing to the BIOS? Also, doesn't the official BIOS generally
> > come with
> > checksums to prevent accidental damage? Couldn't we use these?
>
> I implemented a writable /proc/bios, maybe we could make something like
> "echo unprotect >/proc/bios", too.

That would be HORRABLE if one were to do that frogetting that its allready
unprotected, and offers no way to reprotect it, and it happens.
About the only thing that comes to mind which could damage a system more
is lowlevel formatting a IDE drive, even that should leave you with
something, trashing your BIOS unless your very ready for it is fatal.

IMHO the module only with a writable flag AND a ioctl or such is the way
to go for this one...

Zephaniah E, Hull, Simple is fine, thats why I like linux, but accidents
here can't be corrected with a reinstall or a backup.