SubjectRe: ANNOUNCE: /dev/bios - flash rom bios driver
Yes, and you still don't get warned when you do something REALLY stupid
like:

rm -rf afile *

I can't even count the number of times that I've heard that horror story.
IMO, root should NOT have to go through hoops to do anything. ioctls and
guard files are nice, but unnecessary and can't be done easily in shell
scripts without support programs. Make it a module, make root load it
manually, and at the most, require "cat unprotect > /proc/bios".

My $0.02
-Rob H.

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, *Vic* P. Franck wrote:

> There has been a lot of safety dispute. My opinion:
>
> 1) keep it simple
>
> 2) root should always know what he's doing
>
> 3) One good reason for me to use linux is the command
>
> rm -rf *
>
> without being asked:
>
> ``are you sure you want to delete all files''
> YES
> ``WARNING: YOU ARE ABOUT TO ERASE ALL FILES!!! CONFIRM PLEASE''
> CONFIRM
> ``are you R_E_A_L_L_Y sure you want to confirm, type YEPP''
> YEPP
> ``this is your last chance, type it from right to left''
> PPEY
>
> ``ERROR: there were no file found to delete in this directory.''
>
> Please excuse me for being so verbose.
>
> Peter
>
> -

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.040 / U:0.916 seconds]