    SubjectRe: Linux boot messages ?
    James Mastros wrote:

    > > Feb 11 11:20:39 michelange kernel: Error seeking in /dev/kmem
    > > Feb 11 11:20:39 michelange kernel: Error adding kernel module table entry.
    > > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    > No <G>. These messages aren't realy from the kernel, but rather from klogd
    > -- the kernel logging daemon. Klogd outputs it's own startup messages using
    > the "kernel" facility, rather then the more correct "daemon" facility. It
    > outputs it's startup messages, then the kernel's, resulting in an odd
    > ordering.

    Ok thanks for this information.

    > Note that you should probably update your klogd -- it shouldn't
    > be trying to read the module symbol table from /dev/kmem, but rather from
    > /proc/ksyms.

    My klodg is from RH5.0. I looked into the code and it seems
    that the error comes from a module with an adress unseekable
    in /dev/kmem.

    First /proc/ksyms is read. Then for all module symbols, the
    static int AddModule(address, symbol)
    is called and does a test
    lseek(memfd, address, SEEK_SET) < 0
    In case this is true, Syslog is called with
    Error seeking in /dev/kmem
    as a message.

    So I think that for some module symbol, the address is not
    correct with respect to the kernel. How is this possible ?

    > Klogd dosn't know about your kernel version, so it can't find the module
    > symbol table within the kernel memory image.

    I don't think klogd look for this table in /dev/kmem.

    Thanks for your answer, it helped a lot.

    Dominique Larchey

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.020 / U:3.628 seconds]