    SubjectRE: How to read-protect a vm_area?
    Hmmm... let me see.  Would like to generate a page fault on reading a page
    or writing a page?

    Case A: You want a page fault on write

    I ran into this problem implementing distributed shared memory. I needed
    to know when a process wrote to memory so it could synchronize with its
    remote half. To accomplish this, I used sys_mprotect and a hacked version
    of change_protection() to clear the _PROT_READ bit on all pte's in a vm
    area. But there's a catch: if a page is read-only, do_wp_page() gets
    called on a page fault and silently makes the page writeable. I had to add
    my own hook to vm->vm_ops->wppage() there to catch the write fault.

    Case B: you want a page fault on read

    Wouldn't you rather just swap this memory out and handle nopage()?

    Let's say you wouldn't. I believe that sys_mprotect will happily clear the
    read bit on your pte's. However, if you look at do_page_fault(), you will
    notice that a read fault always generates SIGSEGV if the page is present.
    You will have to change that, if that's really what you want.

    Prerequisites: pte? fault? what?

    You need to get a good understanding of how vm_area_structs, pgd_t, pmd_t,
    and pte_t's work. I used the following sources:

    "Linux Kernel Internals" by Bohm et. al. A great overview of the linux
    kernel and memory Details of ix86 virtual
    memory management

    running emacs and etags on my kernel. (2.0.32)

    Let me know how it goes. If you have more info on your project, send it

    Good luck.