    SubjectRe: ANNOUNCE: /dev/bios - flash rom bios driver
    According to Stefan Reinauer:
    > > I agree. Perhaps the device should require that writing take place
    > > at an offset greater than zero ("dd oskip=1k"?), and attempts to
    > > write at offset zero should result in an immediate EINVAL or some
    > > such error?
    > I don't like that idea very much as it wouldn't map the hardware to a
    > simple logical model. IMHO that is exactly what a hardware driver should
    > do.

    I can see that. But since writing the BIOS is so seldom useful, and
    is almost always dangerous, limiting the device interface to reading
    and requiring an ioctl for writing should be adequate.

    If the ioctl _enabled_ writing until the next close, rather than
    performing it, then you could even make a utility that only calls
    ioctl() on stdout, and then you could still use dd:

    (enable_bios_write; dd if=bios.image) >/dev/bios

    Chip Salzenberg - a.k.a. - <>
    "Nice shooting, Zanthar!" "Thanks, Denise." // MST3K

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.019 / U:14.436 seconds]