SubjectRe: Dumb question: Which is "better" SCSI or IDE disks?
I don't know if RAID-1 can mirror two DIFFERENT type of disks:-)

It is very difficult to find exact weight of dogs in different species :-)

I am dealing with the real world. I have no time to set up machines to
make the so called benchmark test. Somebody wanted me to "measure"
instead of my "think". So I made a random "measure". I don't want to
establish the bench mark.

Leonard

On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, Damien Miller wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, Leonard Zhang System Administrator ISD RVIB wrote:
>
> > RAID-1 is disk mirror. DPT is cache with RAID. RAID will increase the
> > disk performance.
>
> RAID-1 slightly *decreases* write performance, as writes will
> complete only after data is written to all disks in the mirror
> group. Writes therefore proceed at the speed of the *slowest* disk of
> the array. RAID-1 should increase read performance, however.
>
> In any case I would hardly call a poorly conceived and statistically
> irrelevant 'benchmark' valid, especially when performed under SCO.
>
> DPT controllers come with a lovely manual which explains in great
> detail SCSI, RAID, tagged queueing and all the other basic concepts
> that you have demonstrated an inability to comprehend. Please
> read it, as these are concepts that every self-proclaimed "System
> Administrator" should understand.

> You still haven't explained why you are trying to compare SCSI disk
> performance under SCO with that of IDE disks on Linux. (Free Clue -
> you can't).
>
> Regards,
> Damien Miller
>
> | Damien Miller -
> | Email: dmiller@ilogic.com.au (home) or damien@ibs.com.au (work)
> | WWW: http://www.ilogic.com.au/~dmiller/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.152 / U:0.200 seconds]