SubjectRe: crypto
Alex Buell <alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk> writes:

> On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
>
> > I assume you mean xmit from the US, if so, that would be illegal.
>
> I'm flying back to the UK end of this week. Send me yer crypto stuff here
> at my US email address, I'll print them out on paper and physically export
> to Britain. :o) That should be legal is it not?

No, it's not. If you're a US citizen, it's not legal to transfer files
to other machines once you enter crypto code in the UK (unless you're
sending to US machines, which you could do already). If you're not a US
citizen, it would be illegal for Mr. Wedgwood to send the files to you --
it doesn't matter if you're in the US or not; if you're not a US national,
sending files to you counts as exporting them.

-- Michael

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans