SubjectRe: WTF is this in fs/super.c
On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, Shaw Carruthers wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, Rik van Riel wrote:
>
> > > "Self-destruct in 5 seconds. Have a nice
> > > day...\n");
> > > }
> >
> > It means that there were still busy inodes left in a filesystem
> > after the filesystem was umounted. This is something that should
> > never happen. Instead the filesystem should refuse to umount if
> > there are still files/inodes in use on it.
>
> Thanks for putting my mind at rest, I was worried!

I'd still like to find the bug, so I'll ask you one more
question...

> It happens on shutdown -r in rc.6, after the 'Unmounting local
> filesystems' message,this error messages flashes up just as the
> system reboots.
>
> /dev/hda4 on / type ext2 (rw)
> /dev/hda1 on /DOS type vfat (rw,codepage=850,umask=000,quiet)
> //GILLIAN.LEINSTER/GILLC on /GILLC type smbfs (0)

OK, so you have ext2, vfat and smbfs filesystems mounted...

Could you change the shutdown script to find out at which
filesystem the error occurs? This would tremendously help
us get rid of the bug before 2.2 is released.

thanks,

Rik -- the flu hits, the flu hits, the flu hits -- MORE